Monday, February 14, 2011

So sorry for your loss...

My mother-in-law lost her last aunt in death last weekend.  I volunteered to do two sympathy cards that she wanted to send.  I didn't do anything fancy, as I wasn't sure if they would appreciate a home-crafted card and whether they would keep them or not, but I hope they will. 

I used K and Co papers for the background papers for both cards.  The right edge on this one is punched with one of the newest punches by MS; Deco Fans.  I used Design Studio with Cricut for the flourishes, sentiments and the frames. 
  Here is the inside of this card.  I wanted a little more color than white, so I cut
cut a large flourish out of cream, and used the negative space,  backing it with black. 
I just wish that I had made it a little thinner.
So here is the second card. I again used flourishes
from Cricut and Cricut Design Studio.  Pretty much like the first card adexcept I used
another MS punch, which is becoming one of my favorites - Swirling Lace) 

Do you recognize the flourish on the front of this card?  It's the one I cut out from
the inside of the other card.  I cut it apart and after distressing it, I placed it on the front of the card
 and then the sentiment.  I distressed both cards lightly.

I used the MS punch called swirling lace for the inside of this card, I think it's becoming
one of my favorites.
I'm entering these cards in the following challenges:

Tellen's Place - stripes
Catered Crop - recipe: repeating pattern (diamond pattern in second card);
punches; die cuts; swirls
Creative Inspiration - distressing
Ooh La La Creations - for
someone special

I hope I've inspired someone in making simple "sympathy" cards.  Please leave a comment on my blog if  you liked what you saw.

Hugs,   


20 comments:

Stacey G.- 2 Craf-t-4u said...

So sorry to hear about Lorraine's aunt. I will be sure to send a card! Both cards are very nice. The flourish is very pretty. I find sympathy cards very difficult, but you did a great job. Swirling lace is one of my favorites too! I use it quite a bit. I have not used my deco fan in quite a while, you inspired me to pull that one out again. It was one of my first ones I ever bought, so I tend to use my newer ones more now.

Dorcas said...

You did a nice job, Debbie. I'm sure the recipients will just be so glad you thought of them. I need to make more sympathy and get well cards....can never have too many in this world, can we?

Debbie said...

So sorry about your MIL 's loss but I must say, you made very elegant sympathy cards..Great job with the challenge

Thanks so much for joint us at Creative Inspirations Challenge Blog

NY Debbie

Linda McClain said...

I'm so sorry about your Great Aunt. Your card is gorgeous - I'm sure they'll take a lot of comfort from it. Thanks for playing along with Catered Crop.

Ulina /Apricot Bubbles said...

These are beautiful decent cards!
Hugs,
Uli
I often thought in the past that I should make some of those cards - but then I couldn´t - so I make them when it´s necessary to make them...

Faye said...

Very beautiful and appropriate for the sad occasion. xx

Rose Petal said...

Hiya. Two lovely cards, love the design and papers. Thank you for joining us at Tellens Place and good luck.
Love Sandra x

croppixie said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt, your cards are so elegant and beautiful. Thanks for playing along with CASE study.

Jane said...

Your cards are lovely thanks for playing at Tellens Place
Luv Jane xxx

Wendi said...

Your cards are simple but beautiful
Thank you so much for sharing with us at ooh la la this week
Wendi

Rachel Hope said...

So pretty! Thanks for cooking it up with the Catered Crop recipe!

Iwona Palamountain (Chupa) said...

Very nice cards :) Thank you so much for playing CASE Study this week! xxx

Sue Kohler said...

Beautiful Cards, the flourish makes such an impact!
thanks for sharing at CASE study this week! :)

Linda w said...

Both very beautiful cards, will definitely have a go at this style of sympathy card. Hugs lin

Inspired By Friends said...

Sorry for the loss. These are beautiful cards. Thanks for sharing them with us at Stamping With The Dragon.
Hugs,
Beth

Croms' Cubby Hole said...

A shame such a sad occasion prompted these beautiful cards. Lovely choice of papers and embellishments. Thankyou for sharing this at Tellen's Place this week and hope to see you back next week

Joynana said...

So sorry for your loss. I think these cards will be treasured even though the occassion is a sad one. Thanks for joining us at Tellen's Place.

Love crafts forever said...

Thank you so much for playing with us at Stampin With The Dragon.
Hugs Nataliya.

Terry Oulboub said...

So sorry for your mother-in-law's loss; that is so sad. I don't often do sympathy cards because they are so hard to design but you've done a fantastic job with the different papers, border punches and flourishes. I'm sure they will bring a smile and your thoughtfulness remembered. Thanks for joining us at Tellen's Place this week for our "Stripes" challenge. :~)

Sammibug said...

Very nice sympathy card. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Ooh La La.